Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Summer Plans

Its hard for me to believe that summer is just around the corner! NGU's graduation is a week from tomorrow. Man, this year has flown by! Silas goes to school until the first week of June. So, its causing me to think about what we are going to do to keep busy this summer. Busy and sane!

I've decided that I am going to make a schedule and stick to it as much as possible. Here are some of my ideas:

Movie day. We have 2 theaters here that have FREE movies Wed, Thurs, and Fri. Free for kids and parents!

Library

Craft/baking/letter writing - stuff like playdough, simple crafts, making cards/packages for people

Swimming lessons, practice - we can use the NGU pool at certain times

Family Movie Night - this is always a BIG hit. And if we have it scheduled maybe they won't beg for it every night. I heard about a great idea. Let them earn some money throughout the week and then they buy a ticket and snacks and take turns manning the snack bar, being ushers, etc.

NO TV Days - I am serious about this one. I want days when they know there will not be TV, cartoons or anything. We have to have other things planned so they see there are better things to do.

Playdates, fieldtrips - we have wonderful parks, a new children's museum about to open up, and plenty of friends to play with.

Housecleaning - I think this is important. We are going to have responsibilities daily and weekly.

My goal is to not let my kids be bored, and myself to be frustrated. I'd LOVE to hear some more ideas I can implement into our schedule. I haven't made it out, but when I do, I'm going to put it up for the kids to see.

9 comments:

Kami Cross said...

When I was younger, my mom taught us things like spanish and to play the piano. She was not an expert at either but it was a good language and musical foundation for us! We also had short devotions every morning. (schedule was a GREAT idea for us so it felt like it was still school, just at home).

I know your kids are little, but summers are great for learning, too!!

The Via Colony said...

That is such a GREAT idea! I'd love to hear the other ideas the other mommas have out there=)

We always had chores and reward charts so every month or so we'd get something special when we'd finished our chart.

Lisha Thigpen said...

Here is a super list of fun summer ideas complied by the GirlTalk blog from moms across the country last year.

I hope you enjoy.

http://girltalk.blogs.com/girltalk/summertime/

Michele Hendrickson said...

Hey! I don't know if you know about it or not but Hub City Church in spartanburg sponsors a free movie in the park during the summer. I'm pretty sure it's every 3rd saturday of the month. It's very kids friendly and they have lots of giveaways too!

Stephen and Tara said...

These are great ideas!

Shaleen said...

I didnt see 'trip to miami' you probably just forgot to type it... ;)

Tim said...

I told J-dog that you should come up the mountain before we deploy: Pool, playground, and pepperoni pizza!!! That and I want to play with your super, crazy, awesome Nikon camera...

Stacy said...

Good luck! We are so busy this summer we aren't going to have time to be bored.......or at least that is what I'm hoping for!

Pegsy said...

You've got some great ideas! I don't know if I would add anything. I need to make up a summer schedule too... I'm bad enough during the school year! You've inspired me!