Friday, January 23, 2009

Venting

Here is my latest drama...

With 4 kids I really hate taking them to the doctor. Its hard enough with just one kid in the office, you know? But for well checks I'd like to knock them out at least 2 at a time. The pediatrician we've been seeing said they do "doubles" at 8am and 2pm. Neither of those choices are my preferred times of the day. Its just hard to get out the door no matter what time it is, but getting somewhere by 8am is too early. And 2 pm is naptime! Well I chose 8am.

Its 20miles to this doctor, so that would be leaving no later than 7:30. Its friday so Hattie and Silas have school. Jody said he'd take them. We got in the car at like 7:27. I chose the hospital on my GPS and headed out. At first I thought the GPS was taking me a new secret way to doctors. Then I panicked. I called my mom and she said I must be headed to the other hospital by the same name. WHO knew?? Not me!

I redirected myself and was going to be just a few minutes late. Then (I know I am prone to exaggeration, but this is the TRUTH) I hit EVERY single red light.

We walked in the door at 815 and the receptionist said they would only see one. Luke or Millie. I held in my tears and tried to be brave. I chose Luke.

I asked the receptionist if I could have anyother appointment that morning. No.

Luke did GREAT. Amazing. No problems. 2 shots, one finger prick. He wore his Super Lukey cape and cowboy hat. He was so good, so sweet. I have issues with well checks anyway. When I know my kids are fine and healthy, what is the point of paying for the doctor to tell me that? Do I have any questions? No thank you. He's my third kid, I think I know whats going on now.

I asked the nurse if Millie could just get her shots. No.

We checked out and I asked again if there were any appointments open today. No.

I felt like all these people were being so rude. I know I was late. I used to be very punctual before I had kids. I know we have to respect appointment times. But where is the grace and sympathy at all??

I really do like the doctor I see there, but I feel like the practice is so impersonal and uncaring. Again, I really understand that I was late. I know that I chose to have 4 kids. I don't expect special treatment EVERYTIME. But why couldn't I find some today??

I decided that I need a doctor that is closer. Maybe a smaller practice. I've asked a few people today and I have a couple options. Millie will be trying out option #1 next week.

11 comments:

ellieandavasmommy said...

Good for you! We had some issues with our dr. and just were not happy, so we just switched doctors and couldn't be more pleased. Hope you have the same story to tell after next week!!

Jen said...

dr visits are a pain and i always wait to even make an appointment until the child care center tells me one of mine needs a shot. i attempted once with both of mine and it was a terrible experience so now i always try to arrange dr appts when i only have to take one.

Anonymous said...

Emily -
Make sure the DOCTOR him/herself knows how you were treated - most would be seriously irritated to know their office staff turned away a patient - especially a tiny one who was already present! I'd then find another doctor and let the first one know why. Nobody likes losing their bottom line.
Anne Dahmen

Christie said...

I go to a small practice in Charlotte and they are amazing! From my experiences I have seen a big differnce between the large practices and the small ones. They seem to be a little more gracious and genuinly caring...

Erin said...

My daughter is 8 and thankfully I think we are done with well checks - I agree completely? Why take my kid to the doctor's office when she is NOT sick and expose her to all the germs floating around there? I can't believe they wouldn't squeeze Millie in just because you were a few minutes late. I would definitely be looking for a new doctor!

Stacy said...

Oh man. That really stinks! You should have given them the riot act. It's not like Millie would have taken up much time at all. I can't believe they wouldn't see her. It's not like you were THAT late, AND you had a double appointment so you should have had a bigger time slot. I agree, find a new doctor!!

geisme said...

Emily, I so feel your pain. With twins, I usually do everything together. But I especially agree with what Anne had to say. They say they give you "double" appts. but let's be real, how much longer does it take to see both of them, unless something is wrong or you have a boatload of questions. Also with this being baby #4 I hear where you are coming from.
Sorry you had such a bad start to your day. Hopefully it got better.
-Gail

The Via Colony said...

I hate that for you. We switched practices after waiting 3 hr. in the waiting room with a squirmy Areyna and a screaming Zeke who was having an allerigic reaction to penacillan (sp). They finally realized they forgot I was there and as soon as the dr. saw us we were sent to the hospital because Zeke was getting so bad. I couldn't believe it. AHH! Anyway, I'm so glad you have a few more options to try out=)

Pegsy said...

Oh wow, I agree you should have given them "the riot act!" What a terrible experience - I would have definitely been crying. I hope the new doctor works out for your family. Closer is always better - the stress level just automatically goes down!

Shaleen said...

I totally agree with your thought of finding a new MD. We've been talking to our OB about choosing a pediatrician and his advice - after a MD who listens to you, is one that has a caring office. Seriously 15 minutes is nothing, I can't believe they didn't take them both.

Sarah M. said...

Funny, I found the whole Dr. condundrum to be regional. In MI we had a seperate Doc for everything. Here in IA you see one for all, and we found a doctor who actually has the calls forwarded to himself or his partner (also his twin brother) after hours! If you have an afterhours question you can actually talk to someone, and not end up in ask a nurse hades!!