Monday, September 29, 2008

Who Knew??

Who knew that Jody is allergic to bee stings??

It was SO strange. Jody was standing outside talking to a friend and he was stung by a bee near his armpit. He gets in the car with me to pick up Silas and Hattie from church and starts feeling weird. He said his feet were burning and itching, his lips were tingling and his head felt like it was about to explode. Well, it got worse and worse.

We picked up the kids as fast as we could and rushed to my parents house for some benadryl. Jody told me today that that ride (approx 5 miles, I would guess) was torture for him. He felt nauseous, his vision became impaired, and he was writhing in pain.

We made the decision that he needed to go to the ER. So my dad took Jody and I took the kids home. The kids were very worried about their daddy. But since he was breathing fine, I felt confident in telling them that daddy was going to be OK!

When they got to the ER, Jody was ushered right in. He was shaking uncontrollably and his skin looked sunburned. He was hooked up to all sorts of stuff and after a few hours, he was released to come home.

He's supposed to take it easy today. And he's got a prescription for an epi pin.

I'm so thankful for a couple things. One, that we live in an area where we can receive the medical treatment that we need. If we were living in Hoima, Uganda (where we lived for about 3 years) I don't know what type of treatment we would have been able to receive! And the other thing is I'm so glad my parents were in town and could help me! Can you imagine seeing me trying to park, get my pregnant self out, get 3 kids out and organized to hold hands in the parking lot and get my anaphylactic-shocked husband into the ER?

5 comments:

Stacy said...

How did it all turn out when he got home? I'm relieved to hear they prescribed and epi-pen. Now, the big thing will be for him to have it WITH HIM at all times!!!

The Via Colony said...

Oh no, that's AWEFUL!! Is that the only first time he's gotten stung or is it a new allergy? I am so thankful for you too! What an afternoon, huh...

Erin said...

That sounds like something that happened to us. We were at a church social when we still students and Tim ate some of this spice cake. He said that his mouth and tongue felt funny but I assured him that he was fine. See how compassionate I am/was??? He wound up in the ER later that night with a ginger allergy. I am glad Jody is ok!

Anonymous said...

WOW! He's never been stung by a bee before? I'm glad you were somewhere where you could get help!

Pegsy said...

Wow! That's so scary! I'm so thankful it all turned out O.K. Your last paragraph made me laugh - you do mange to find the humour in almost anything!