Monday, February 12, 2007

Feeling Bad

I'm feeling bad. Like a bad mom. The kids have been kind of sick the last few days. Being the sympathetic person that I am, I'm like, come on guys, you are fine. Stop whining, just wipe your nose...stuff like that.

Well yesterday Silas's eye looked bad. I thought, uh-oh. Maybe pink eye. Both Hattie and Silas had this yucky sounding cough. Luke was not my usual sweet sleeper. He kept waking up last night, crying and not going back to sleep easily. Plus 3 constantly running noses.

So this morning, I canceled the dentist appts I had for Silas and Hattie. (I can only imagine how gross it must be for a dentist to get coughed on and all that gross business) I decided to take Silas to the dr. If he had pinkeye, I wanted to get it cleared up asap, and he is REALLY looking forward to the Valentine's Day party at school on Tuesday.

I thought I'd be in and out, so I left Hattie and Luke with Jody. I parked at the wrong building. It was snowing. I forgot Silas's mittens (and my own). We had to walked 2 blocks to get into the right building. While I was checking in, Silas was howling. Tears and snot just running down his face. He was so upset. I was like, what in the world is wrong with him.

Well, a double ear infection ("about as bad as they can get"), beginnings of RSV, and conjunctivitis - that's what's wrong with him. She also recommended I bring Hattie and Luke in.

I drove back home, switch Silas for Hattie and Luke.
Hattie has conjunctivitis and Luke has one ear infection.

We got the meds and are now on the road to recovery.

I just HATE that my kids were all so sick and I didn't realize it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're still a great mom! love, YOUR MOM

mylifewith5kids said...

Anyone with small children has done the same thing you did. It never fails you take them in and nothing is wrong....so the next time you wait too long and things are really bad. I have done the same thing more times than I care to admit! I will be praying for you tonight, it will take a while for the medicine to take affect.

Karen @Snakes-Snails-Puppydogtails said...

Twice Carter has gone at least 24 hours with a broken arm!! Talk about feeling bad!! Judith's right, when you think they are REALLY sick they aren't and vice versa!! You're doing great!

Matt Johnson said...

Hey Emily and Jody. It has been nice reading your blog. I can't believe you have kids! It really has been a long time since I've heard from or about you. Jed and I are getting ready to leave for the Philippines in the morning to deliver OCC shoeboxes. Maybe we can come visit you two this summer when we go on our road trip. Here's my blog if you are interested in any spare reading:

http://www.mattlessonaday.blogspot.com/

Jen said...

I'm right there with you. Bailey's had a snotty nose and a little cough for the past couple of days. Tonight he fell and acted pitiful so I picked him up and held him and noticed he felt really hot so I took his temp - 103!! So I'm the bad mommy. Mav has a cough so now I've decided I'll be spending my Wednesday at the Drs - maybe even the wee hours of the morning!